Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Malibu Creek Canyon/ 6-mile hike!













Started out the day with a 6-mile hike in Malibu Creek Canyon.  Not too much canyon hiking in Florida, so this is quite the treat.  Really beautiful this Malibu......  I always pictured Malibu as just beaches, but there are lots of canyons/mountains. We were late returning so missed the Liquid Moves class in the pool, but burned a lot of calories on the hike.  We went to the old Mash TV site, and saw areas where they filmed the original Planet of the Apes.  Picture #1 is the site where the helicopter came over the mountains on the opening of Mash.

Afternoon - kickboxing class taught by Ursula which is a "take no prisoners" lady whose body looks like  Layla Ali; next Mountain class which is a cardio class  in which you start on a low level, but increase speed and/or intensity (or incline if on treadmill) for 7 stages of three minutes each.  For session 8 and 9, you go all out as fast as you can for 4 minutes in each stage, then take it down to end.  Great cardio with lots of sweat.
Last was pool H20 circuit class.  You can't imagine that you can work out so hard in a pool, but you do here.  It is easier on the joints, but it is quite a workout.

Still trying to deal with blister; actually, just a raw circle on the bone below my big toe.  I have posted a pic-- hurry by it if you don't want to look :-)

Received Derek's walking sticks today, and I am really looking forward to using them.  I know they will take a little pressure off my knees, especially downhill.   I think they will also increase my steadiness coming downhill. 

Thanks to all of you for your support...... GO NOLES!!!!

3 comments:

  1. PS...Say Hi to Dirk for me. He is really a great guy. I so admire him along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow girl you are doing great. I love that hike and isn't the MASH site cool. Keep doing so well because it really does pay off. I dropped four more pounds when I got home so now I'm down 24 pounds and so pleased. I'm eating 1500 calories and trying to get 1 to 2 hours of exercise a day. You will do it and just remember slow and steady. No big injuries this way. Good for you using the hiking sticks, so good to keep you upright

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, that blister! You are a WARRIOR to keep on going! I've really enjoyed being here with you and wish I was staying longer

    ReplyDelete